Monday, October 3, 2011

Time to blog again

I don't know about you but I don't like to cook in a messy kitchen.  If it's time to make dinner and the kitchen is a mess I will clean it first, and then prepare dinner (same thing if my bed is unmade and it is time to go to sleep: I will first make the bed, and then get in to go to sleep.).  My husband finds this very odd.  His philosophy is that if it's already a mess you may as well just add to it, and then do a big clean-up after dinner.  But I prefer to cook in a clean kitchen.  


I kind of think this is why I haven't blogged much lately.  My "kitchen" (code for life and my new home) is messy (or still in boxes), and it's taking me a long time to clean it.  So I feel like I can't blog or craft until I get settled.  Anyway we've been in our new home for a month now, and I'm getting more and more settled every day, so I've decided it's high time to start blogging again.  Maybe no one is even paying attention any more anyway, and that's okay.  Really I blog more for myself and my sanity than for anyone else.  Blogging gives me a creative outlet and a way to connect with other people (even if the only other people out there are my Mom and my husband, I'd still blog).  So here I am, blogging again, and feeling all accomplished :)

Remember my coat hanger that I had my father-in-law make way back when?  He basically took a 4X4 block of wood, and put some legs on it for me, and then I painted it and added some hooks.  It looked like this before we painted it.  


Then Travis painted it for me and added hooks, but once we got here to our new home I decided it needed a little something else so I hung a fun retro clock on it that I bought at Target. 


What do you think?  I'm kind of loving it.  I think the clock really finishes it off and gives it a retro vibe.  I use it in my kitchen to hang my purse and apron and whatever else I feel like hanging on it.  I got the hooks for it at Hobby Lobby.  

Basically I've been doing things like this for the last month.  Trying to pick my life up out of boxes, and find a new place for everything.  We're getting there, but I've got a long way to go.  Our new house has quite a bit more room than we had before, and so there's a lot more to decorate.  I'm excited about decorating because I love doing it, but it's going to take a while. I'm just going to have to do it piece meal as I can afford it, but I'll be sure to document along the way.  

On the family front Dallas recently had his first Rain Gutter Regatta for Cub Scouts, and we took a family trip to the Albuquerque Zoo.  


The Rain Gutter Regatta here was really fun.  They did a few crazy races, and Dallas got picked for the silly string race where he tried to get his boat to move through the rain gutter by spraying it with silly string.  It didn't really work very well, but he sure had fun doing it.  

And the ABQ zoo was surprisingly great.  If you ever come to New Mexico, you have to visit the zoo.  It was super affordable and really big.  There's also a train ride you can take from the zoo to the aquarium which we did and enjoyed that as well. 


So that's about what I've been up to lately.  I recently put up all my Halloween decorations and even did a fun craft that I'll share with you another day.  Right now I'm getting ready for family that is coming to visit, and Hallie's birthday next week. Also there's a big balloon fiesta in Albuquerque that we're going to check out, so I'll be sure and take pics of that as well.  Bet you can't wait!

11 comments:

Courtney said...

I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how you are settling in. Can't wait to see more pics of your projects.

Trish said...

I'm still reading! We just passed your old house the other day and I wondered how you were doing, if you would be back to blogging soon. Glad to see that you are. :)

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I love the clock on the coat rack. How fun! I totally understand the, "unpacking and getting settled before I do anything," phase. We moved into our first home almost two months ago, and today I did my first sewing project in months. Boxes are still in places, but everything is taking place slowly! I'm glad things are going well for you. That rain regatta looks fun with silly string too! :)

Sarah said...

cute coat rack! I think I have that same yellow purse - got mine at Marshall's.

Glad you're blogging again.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Love the clock! I am big on clocks. I have three in my family room alone.

terrah said...

I love hearing what you are up to! I hope things continue to go well as you settle in!

Jen Kesler said...

I'm still reading and we spent the last 7 years in NEW MEXICO! We moved to Colorado the first of August. I'll have to admit that at first it was hard adjusting to NM(but any new place is hard...as I'm finding out in CO). I seriously miss ABQ so much. The people there are amazing and it just has this special feeling about it. Maybe that's why they call it the Land of Enchantment?? LOL! We lived on the Westside in Ventana Ranch. Definitely hit Balloon Fiesta!! Anyhoo...hang in there and I can't wait to see all of your great decorating ideas as time rolls on! :)

Angela said...

Your sister still reads! :)

wholesale jewelry said...

Thank you for sharing. It is very interesting post. Looking forward to reading your more post.



wholesale jewelry

ruzzel01 said...

You got that right! Im so proud of you.

hollywood bistro

Samir Boudemia said...

j'aime votre blog, vous pouvez vous aussi jeter coup d'oeil sur mon blog et me dire votre avis ...merci d'avence
Message d'amour